250 In stock
Citric Acid (Fine, Anhydrous) 100% Food Grade - Great for Bath Bombs! Mesh Powder - Cleaning Descaling Home Br - GMO Free - BP/FCC
- WHAT IS CITRIC ACID? Citric acid is a natural, weak organic acid that is found in many fruits & vegetables, especially citrus. It is prized for its sour flavour, preservative quality, & ability to act as a pH buffer. For these reasons, citric acid is found on the ingredient list of many food products today. It is also produced as a by product of the citric acid cycle during metabolism in living organisms. It is a natural preservative & can be added to food producing an acidic or sour taste.
- POPULAR USE: Bath Bombs | Ceramic Tiles | Coffee Makers | Descaling | Dishwashers | Irons | Kettle Descaler | Lime Scale Remover | Machine Cleaner | Shower Heads | Sinks | Sterilisers | Taps | | Beer | Elderflower Cordial | Elderflower Wine | Home Brew | Lemonade | Preservative | Sherbet | Soft Drinks | Wine. It is a natural preservative because of its sour taste to foods & soft drinks. In biochemistry, it is important as an intermediate in the citric acid cycle & therefore occurs in the metabolism of almost all living things. It also acts as an antioxidant.
- USES OF CITRIC ACID IN FOOD: Approximately 50% of the world’s citric acid production is used as a flavour enhancer in beverages. It is used in soft drinks, teas, juices, & other beverages to create a slightly tart, refreshing flavour & balance sweetness. The acidic pH of citric acid also makes it useful as a preservative. Since many bacteria are unable to grow in an acidic environment, it is often added to jams, jellies, candy, canned foods, & even meat products as a preservative.
- ORGANIC USE OF CITRIC ACID: It is the most widely used organic acidulate across all industries because it: Buffers PH levels, Stabilises colour, taste, flavour and vitamins, Acts as a preservative to many foods and beverages, Provides solubility in many pharmaceutical products, Chelates metals (forms molecules with metal ions making them inactive to avoid reaction with other elements, Acts as a non-corrosive descaler in many applications.
- BATH BOMBS: The simplest bath bombs contain two parts sodium bicarbonate to one part citric acid, with just enough moisture to make the powder stick together-much like new-fallen snow packs into a snowball. Bath bombs can be formulated with oils and butters, such as almond oil and shea butter. Citric Acid is an Alpha-Hydroxy Acid and hence will have some exfoliant properties, although these are much weaker than Glycolic, Lactic and Malic Acids.
Citric Acid is found in a variety of fruits and vegetables, but it is most concentrated in lemons and limes, where it can comprise as much as 8% of the dry weight of the fruit. It is also the most widely used organic acidulate, probably because it is classified as a weak acid. As with all manufacturing processes, we recommend lab scale trials in order to determine appropriate quantities. Normally the product is titrated with a dilute solution of Citric Acid (10 or 20% in water) until the desired pH is achieved.
Because citric acid can be made in a powder form, it can be used in dry foods when a sour flavour is desired. Citric acid is therefore a dry alternative to lemon juice or vinegar in dry foods such as seasoning salts, flavouring powders, and crunchy snacks. Citric acid is sometimes used to create an acidic environment and facilitate the ripening process when making cheese, particularly mozzarella. Citric acid is also used to adjust the pH of solutions when brewing both beer and wine. The acid pH of citric acid also makes it useful as a dietary supplement. Many minerals require an acidic pH for absorption. Citric acid is added to vitamin supplements to make some vitamins biologically available for absorption.
Sterilisers : For sterilisers you do need to descale this unit every 4 weeks, use 1 sachet with 150-200 mls of water. Take everything out of the unit, and place the water and citric acid in and switch on for 2-3 minutes.
Kettles : Half fill a kettle and boil, then empty 1-2 sachets of citric acid (10-20 gms) into the kettle and let it stand for about half an hour. Re boil and pour away the water, re boil with fresh water and pour away. The kettle is ready for use again.
Other Appliances : Also for use with coffee makers, humidifiers, bottle warmers, sinks, showers, taps and ceramic tiles. Please refer to any manuals that came with your appliances for specific usage about cleaning.
When and How to Use? When used for cleaning, citric acid is always dissolved in water first. The concentration depends on the application. A solution of 100 g citric acid (roughly 4 ounces) in 1 litre (roughly a quart) of water will make an excellent descaling solution.
CITRIC ACID ANHYDROUS
Ingredients: 100% Pure Citric Acid (Buffered PH Level) - Not the Cheaper Quality.
Free From: Gluten Free, Soy Free, GMO free.
Kosher & Halal Certified
Warning: This product causes serious eye irritation - ensure to wear the correct ppe when handling and wash hands after use.
Suitable for Vegans & Vegetarians.
You may return most new, unopened items within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. We'll also pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.).
You should expect to receive your refund within four weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in many cases you will receive a refund more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper (5 to 10 business days), the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it (3 to 5 business days), and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request (5 to 10 business days).
If you need to return an item, simply login to your account, view the order using the 'Complete Orders' link under the My Account menu and click the Return Item(s) button. We'll notify you via e-mail of your refund once we've received and processed the returned item.
We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.
When you place an order, we will estimate shipping and delivery dates for you based on the availability of your items and the shipping options you choose. Depending on the shipping provider you choose, shipping date estimates may appear on the shipping quotes page.
Please also note that the shipping rates for many items we sell are weight-based. The weight of any such item can be found on its detail page. To reflect the policies of the shipping companies we use, all weights will be rounded up to the next full pound.